Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Governor M. Jodi Rell

Now that Governor Rell has announced that she will be stepping away from the spotlight of elected office, politicians and pundits from across the state have begun reflecting on her tenure as our Chief Executive.

Most will focus on the accomplishments of her administration, along with her lengthy career in the State House and as Lieutenant Governor. All will treat the Governor with the respect she has earned after 25 years in public service.

For myself, I feel the most fitting way for me to honor the Governor is by sharing a story that is (in my opinion) the epitome of the class and grace that was the hallmark of Governor Rell.

In 2004 some of my fellow young guns attempted to start a "Waterbury Young Republicans" group. As with any new group, there were a few dedicated members at every meeting while the rest waited to see if our endeavour would take flight. While I was waiting (with a few of these dedicated individuals) for our May meeting to begin, I began to talk to my friends about our need to recruit more members. I was building up a good head of steam on my rant, when in walked then Lt. Gov. Rell. Out of respect for her I quickly put the brakes on my speech and yielded the floor. To my complete surprise, Lt. Gov. Rell asked me to continue with the discussion I had started.

This may not sound like much, but when a Lieutenant Governor walks into a room and is willing to listen to some 26 year old upstart she doesn't know as he rants about recruitment issues, it shows an amazing amount of dignity. I was humbled, and a little embarrassed that she actually wanted to hear what I had to say.

I imagine that most politicians would have instead made the rest of the meeting about them. Governor Rell was willing to listen, and I have never forgotten the respect she showed my friends and I that night.

Whatever you say about Governor Rell's accomplishments or her views, I think the political arena could use a few more people like her.

Thank you for your years of service Governor Rell, and thank you for reminding this impudent upstart what is important in politics.

2 comments:

Authentic Connecticut Republican said...

Well put.

mccommas said...

No one ever said Rell was a not a nice lady.

As Governor though she has been absolutely feckless. I remember when Rowland chose her over the guy he ran with before that he picked her because a lot of political people did not like him.

Rell probably did win over a sliver of the base that first year, but at what cost? We now know that when choosing a Lt. Governor candidate, the gubitorial candidate should at least give a passing thought to her inability to make unpopular (but right) decisions, and how her overall philosophy might be incompatible with the party.

Rell always won on the politics. You have to admire her for that. She made fools of the Democrats on the issues she chose to engage them in over and over again. The problem is on the substance, Rell always lost.

Or to be more accurate, Rell's apparent real political views are not that different from Donald Williams.

I really had high hopes for Rell after Rowland's lack luster tenure. Rell, it turns out, was even worse.

In times like these we a strong leader. Rell is a nice lady but no kind of leader.