Monday, August 03, 2009

Why Am I Doing This?

In three months the citizens of Waterbury will be going to the polls to chose who will lead their City for the next two years. As you should be aware, my name will be on the Republican line this year, as I seek election to the Board of Aldermen. Often, when my friends and family hear about my decision to seek elected office, the number one question I am asked is why? Why am I taking on such a monumental task?

I know that I am taking an amazing chance by running for Board of Aldermen. I know that there is a chance that I could spend the next three months door knocking, working the crownd at events, hosting TV shows, poll standing...everything I can to get elected, only to find myself on the outside looking in on November 4. Despite these risks I am grateful for the opportunity to run, and am excited to get the campaign started.

So why run?

I am running because I feel that I can further help the City of Waterbury if I am fortunate enough to be elected to the Board of Aldermen. I want to see my hometown rise from the grip of the naysayers and doomsday prophets who feel that Waterbury’s best days are behind us. I want to be able to help silence all the critics who see a conspiracy behind every plan, impossibility behind every proposal.

The city of Waterbury is our city, and it will be as great as we make it. There are those who will do nothing but complain, those who will never present a viable proposal for the city, and those who will object to a plan without feeling the need to find an alternative solution. Those are the people that we must silence, the people that we must prove wrong with everything we say and do.

That is why I am before you tonight, to make the City of Waterbury, my hometown, as wonderful a city as possible. I want everyone to see in Waterbury what I have always seen, and I will work as hard as I can to realize that dream.

Hopefully you will share my vision and support me in November. I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: