Monday, May 11, 2009

Naugatuck River Race 2009

As you may be aware, for the past few years I have looked to improve the city through my involvement in political organizations and campaigns. Though I was unsuccessful, I took great pride in running for the Board of Aldermen with Representative D'Amelio in 2007. I have been proud to led my support to Rep. D'Amelio, Rep. Noujaim, and Sen. Caliguiri in their recent campaigns. That is also why I helped establish the Young GOP of Waterbury back in February.

For me, however, politics isn't just about a person labeling themselves as a Republican, Democrat, or even Independent. Politics is about everyone bringing their best ideas to the table to see what will help the City of Waterbury the most.

That is why I have been working with several different groups to do what I can to help improve downtown Waterbury, and the city in general. I have involved myself with the City Hall restoration project, and the Design Committee on Main Street Waterbury. I have also supported my neighborhood, by paying dues to the EMNA, and my church, Saints Peter & Paul.

I have also kept an eye on the work of the Greenway Commission, lending my voice to the hundreds that showed up at Kennedy High School back on the 30th.

Along with the Greeway Commission, The Naugatuck River Revival Group has been working to restore the Naugatuck River to a state that the Naugatuck Valley can be proud of again. Both groups are hoping to make the river an area for bike paths, hiking trails, art displays, and even canoe and kayak races. With these noble goals in mind, I was glad to offer my support this past Saturday by participating in the 2nd annual River Race.

So this past Saturday, YGOP Chairman Sean Hughes and I hopped in to a canoe and joined over 300 others in the six-mile trip from the Platts Mills Section of Waterbury to Beacon Falls. As we set off, I knew we were not likely to have the best time of the race, as both Sean and I are novices, however, we were hoping to best the time of Mayor Jarjura (2:02 in last years race). We also were aiming to finish the race with fewer spills then the Mayor experienced last year (3).

Unfortunately, while I may have a knack for public speaking, and am comfortable voicing my opinion on policy matters, that does not translate into a River Race. After 2 and 1/2 hours, and 4 different spills into the river, Sean and I finally managed to cross the finish line. We were soaking wet and weary, but we were still smiling.

Even though we did not obtain the results that we were hoping for in terms of the race, we still had a good time. We were glad that we could help the Naugatuck River Revival Group raise some money and awareness about the potential that the Naugatuck River possesses. Someday I may race the river again, but first I think I need a few days to recover from all the bumps and bruises.

A few lessons in kayaking probably won't hurt either.

All photos courtesy of my wife, Kerri.

No comments: