Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Stepping into the spotlight.

Today was a very interesting day for me in terms of my political future in the city of Waterbury, and my personal comfort level. As you are probably aware I have been a common sight at recent Board of Aldermen meetings here in the City of Waterbury, and when there is something important to discuss, I do not shy away from the podium. I have also spent a considerable amount of time writing "Letters to the Editor" for submission in the Republican-American, our local paper.

I have always been aware that these efforts draw attention to myself, and the causes that I am fighting for. I am well aware that anything I say at a meeting or in print, can and will be used against me in the court of public opinion. It's the risks of the job, and a risk that I have always been willing to accept. But even though I've known the risks, and potential rewards for some time, I can still be caught a little off guard.

Last Monday (3/23) I was at the Board of Aldermen meeting when I was approached by a reporter from the Republican-American. Apparently an e-mail I sent was "intercepted" by the Independent party. Anyone who reads this blog, or my letters, knows that the Independent Party is often the focus of my letters and speeches. I have my feelings about how they are governing the city, and thanks to the wonders of the First Amendment, I am free to express them.

In this particular case, however, the Independents tried to throw around words such as "conspiracy" to discredit my efforts. As I said before, I knew that these attacks come with the territory, and I answered the reporters questions truthfully and honestly. What I was doing wasn't a conspiracy, it was marketing and politics. Any political group that is serious about changing its community would, and should, do the same thing.

What caught me off guard about this interview, however, wasn't that it occurred, or the article that was published in the 3/25 edition of the Republican-American. It was the fact that I got home from work that day, and found a message from WATR, inviting me to be on Ed Flynn's "Talk of The Town" program. Realizing an opportunity for publicity, I accepted the invitation and went down to the studios this morning for my interview.

I've been interviewed before, I've done radio shows before, I've done Cable Access shows before, and I've spoken at meetings before. This time, though, I wasn't sure just how the listening audience would receive me. Mr. Flynn's show is so popular, that I knew there was a chance that I could be facing a hostile crowd. This left me both nervous and excited. Usually I know my audience, and I know what to expect. This time, I was flying blind.

Despite all the hype, my time on the radio today went quite well. Mr. Flynn and I had a pleasant chat about the goals of the Young GOP group I am the Vice-Chair of, my feelings about the city of Waterbury, and the future of the Republican Party. Despite the attention I've drawn to myself, there was only one call, and he was pleasant and interesting.

In the final analysis, it was a good day. I had fun on the air, I hope my message got out, and maybe I've made a difference in my hometown. After all isn't that what we're all aiming for in life?

No comments: