Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Time for Action

This speech was delivered to the Board of Aldermen on 2-20-2007

My fellow citizens, the time has come for the posturing to stop and action to begin. Two weeks ago I was here advocating for the complete and proper restoration of City Hall. Judging from what I have seen published in the newspaper since that meeting; most of you share my opinions as to the future of this building. I applaud your dedication to the city, and your talk about respecting the history of Waterbury. Unfortunately that is all that has been done so far, talk. As we all heard in the meeting on the first of February, the cost of construction is not going down, the longer we wait, the more this restoration project is going to cost. The time for action is at hand.

I understand that it is not an easy job, being a member of the Board of Aldermen. You have to weigh what you believe with the beliefs of your constituents. You have to compare what is right for the city with what is right for the residents of the city. These two goals are not always in concert. When there is discord it is your job to decide what is best, in your minds and in your hearts, and hope that everything turns out, as it should.

Tonight I call on you, as my elected representatives in the city government, to move quickly in approving a bond package. I understand from what I have read that there is the necessary two-thirds support for what has become known as “Option 5”, the complete restoration of this building and the moving of the Fire Department to a location next door. As a member of Main Street Waterbury and as a lifelong citizen of this city, I support this decision, and look forward to its passage.

However, respected Aldermen, I still have my concerns. There is such a thing as “paralysis by analysis”, and you cannot let idle chatter needlessly delay this project. Furthermore you need to send a clear message to the residents of this city, and of the central Naugatuck Valley, that this is what you stand for.

I have heard several times in the past that certain members of this board want the issue to go back to the citizens of Waterbury. While this is a noble concept, in this particular case it is fraught with hazards. While people talk about referendum and petition drives, this building, a building that should be the crown jewel of Waterbury, continues to fade. Furthermore, those on this board who push for a referendum are only shirking their elected responsibilities. The citizens choose their leaders, who in turn make the difficult choices. Ladies and gentlemen of the Board, we, the citizens of Waterbury, have chosen you. Now is your time to step up and say that this is what we believe. This is what we feel should be done. You are the fifteen that have been chosen by the concerned citizens of Waterbury to make the difficult decisions for us. As one of those concerned citizens I am asking you to act quickly on city hall. Show us all that you are the leaders that we believe you to be.

And finally, to my fellow citizens in the gallery I offer this challenge. Look past your wallets and into your hearts. Look around this room and try to envision what could be before us. Imagine a room that provides inspiration, a room that leaves visitors awe-struck. This is what could be; this is the pride our city could have, if, and only if, you join me in supporting this restoration.

No comments: